Friday, June 22, 2012

Nazareth Conference - Apartheid?

The Nazareth conference was held recently to celebrate 150 years since a tiny dispensary was established in Nazareth by a devout Scottish couple, Dr. Kaloost Varden and his wife. The hospital was then officially adopted by the Church of Scotland and today it is the Israel Government Hospital for Nazareth, still supported from Scotland.

Irene Murray was the head midwife there for many years and through the work of my very good friend Wendy Blumfield as a childbirth educator, they all became good friends. Workshops were given which were attended by Arab and Jewish midwives and Tipat Halav (child welfare clinic) nurses from the kibbutzim and villages around as well as from the Nazareth hospitals.

The conference workshop was given by another British midwife, Kathryn Gutteridge, on the subject of helping women in childbirth after a history of sexual abuse, a problem that applies to every culture.


In the audience were midwives, social workers, childbirth educators and doulas, Arab Moslem and Christian, Jewish secular and religious. Many of them knew each other, hugged on meeting and chatted so much it was difficult to keep the coffee breaks to the allotted time.


Where are the BBC and the Guardian? Is this Apartheid?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am impressed with this website, rattling I am a fan.

Anonymous said...

Great write-up, bookmarked this website so with any luck,I will see more on this subject matter in the future!

Anonymous said...

As I site possessor I believe the content material here is rattling wonderful , appreciate it for your efforts. You should keep it up forever!

Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..extra wait !!!

Anonymous said...


There is some validity but I’ll take maintain opinion till I look into it further.

Anonymous said...


This is my first time visiting your website, but I found a lot of interesting information.

Anonymous said...


Thanks for putting up this useful information and facts.

Anonymous said...

There is too diverse usefull line and inviting information. I at one's desire tell my friends upon this adress.Very good blog.

Anonymous said...

It's really a great and useful piece of information.
I am glad that you shared this useful information with us.
Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.